REPORTING THE DEATH OF A MEMBER OF STAFF
The Human Resources Department must be notified immediately with regards to the date, cause and time of death of a staff member.
The following events will be actioned once this memorandum is processed:
- A notice of death is prepared by Human Resources for the Information, Protocol and Public Relations for publication purposes.
- Immediate payment of an ex-gratia gratuity to the dependent(s) of the deceased staff member by University of Zimbabwe.
- Death in service benefits and payments.
Ex gratia gratuity
The University pays the dependant(s) of a deceased member of staff one month’s salary, funeral assistance and cash in lieu of balance of ordinary leave days to assist with immediate expenses (this is a gift and is not recoverable). This gratuity is only paid if the staff member dies before the retirement age specified in his/her employment contract.
This is normal retirement age whereby the employment contract ends at the end of the year in which the staff member turns 65, as stipulated in the rules of the University of Zimbabwe Pension Fund.
Early retirement arises when a staff member applies for retirement before the year in which he/she turns 65. A staff member may elect to retire at any time after attaining the age of 55 years, provided that he/she gives the required notice, and that the Vice Chancellor approves such retirement.
At the age of 55 the normal early retirement process will be initiated including the commencement of retirement benefits.
Appointment on Post Retirement for Academic Staff
- The appointment of an individual after the age of 65 will not normally be possible but may be approved subject to certain conditions.
- The appointment of an individual after early retirement is possible, subject to certain conditions.
- The appointment of an individual after the age of 65 will not normally be possible. It may however take place on final approval by the Vice Chancellor.
ORDINANCES AND STATUTE
- University Act Ordinance 28
- Labour Act 28:01
- Statutory Instrument No 15 of 2006