Dr Clever Mumbengegwi
Qualifications: B. Econ (Hons), M Econ (Monash )PhD , Washington State University.
Research Interests: Agricultural and Food Policy Analysis, Applied Micro-econometrics, Development Economics, Econometrics
Publications and Journal Articles:
Dr Mumbengegwi’s brief resume’:
Dr Clever Mumbengegwi joined the University of Zimbabwe’s department of Economics in 1982. He has accumulated extensive teaching, research and higher education management experience spanning over three decades. He has a respectable list of publications that include 2 books, 3 monographs, 4 journal articles, 12 chapters in edited books, 21 internationally refereed conference papers and 18 reports and policy related papers. He has taught a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses, supervised numerous Masters Dissertations and several doctoral theses at several universities at home and abroad. His international experience includes a Visiting Research Fellowship at Princeton University, New Jersey, USA in 1995, a two year Visiting Senior Lectureship at the School of Economic and Business Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand (2005 – 6), Johannesburg, South Africa and served a six year term as the Executive Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Finance and Head of the GaRankuwa campus of Tshwane University of Technology, Pretoria, South Africa (2007-12). He also served as the Chairman, Department of Economics (1992-7 and Dean of the Faculty of Social Studies at the University of Zimbabwe (2000-4), Member of the University of Zimbabwe Council (1996-1998) and served on numerous Council and Senate committees.
- "Agricultural Producer Cooperatives and Agrarian Transformation in Zimbabwe: Policy Strategy and Implementation" in Zimbabwe Journal of Economics Vol. 1, No. 3, 1986.
- “Some Observations on the Problems and Prospects of Socialist Agricultural Transformation in Zimbabwe” Economic Quarterly Vol 18 No4 1983
- Book review "Marketing Board Pricing and Storage Policy with Particular Reference to Maize in Tanzania" by P. E Temu Vantage Press, N.Y. 1984 in Zimbabwe Journal of Economics Vol. 1 No. 3, 1986
- Macroeconomic impacts of fiscal deficits: PDTPE Harare. 1996
- Macroeconomic Policy, Management and Performance in Zimbabwe: A Summary and Synthesis PDTPE Harare 1998
- The Zimbabwe Programme of Reconstruction and Structural Transformation (ZIMPREST): Report on Workshop Proceedings. PDTPE Harare 1998
- Macroeconomic and Adjustment Policies in Zimbabwe since Independence Palgrave (Macmillan), UK 2002.
- The Manufacturing Sector in Zimbabwe: Industrial Change under Structural Adjustment (Ed) with Gunning J.W. World Bank/Free University, Amsterdam/University of Zimbabwe, 1995
Chapters in Books:
- “Overview of Macroeconomic Policy and Performance since independence”(with Mabugu R.) in Mumbengegwi C. (Ed) Macroeconomic and Adjustment Policies in Zimbabwe since Independence. Palgrave (Macmillan), UK 2002.
- “Financial Liberalisation and Monetary Policy in Zimbabwe” (with Nyawata, O) Chapter 7 in Mumbengegwi C. (Ed) ibid. Palgrave (Macmillan), UK 2002.
- “Macroeconomic Policies and Agricultural Performance” Chapter12 in Mumbengegwi C. (Ed) ibid. Palgrave (Macmillan), UK 2002.
- "Investment, Financing and Liquidity Constraints" in Gunning J.W. and Mumbengegwi C. (eds) The Manufacturing Sector in Zimbabwe: Industrial Change Under Structural Adjustment 1995
- "Financing Investment in Zimbabwe" in Gunning J. W. (Ed) The Manufacturing Sector in Zimbabwe: Dynamics and Constraints. World Bank/Free University, Amsterdam/University of Zimbabwe. 1994
- "Indigenous and Small Scale Enterprises in Zimbabwe" in Gunning J. W. The Manufacturing Sector in Zimbabwe: Dynamics and Constraints. World Bank/Free University, Amsterdam/University of Zimbabwe. 1994
- "Structural Adjustment and Small Enterprise Development in Zimbabwe" in A.H Helmsing and Th. Kolstee (Eds) Small Enterprises and Changing Policies. IT Publications Exeter U.K 1993 pp 144 - 159
- "Food and Agricultural Cooperation in SADCC: Progress, Problems and Prospects." Chapter 3 in Samir Amin, Derrick Chitala et al (Eds) SADCC: Prospects for Disengagement and Development in Southern Africa. United Nations University/ZED Press, Lond. 1988.
- "The Political Economy of a Small Farmer Agricultural Strategy in SADCC" Chapter 6 in Coralie Bryant (Ed) Poverty, Policy and Food Security in Southern Africa. Lynne Reinner Publishers, Boulder Colorado, USA 1988
- "The Political Economy of Agricultural Producer Cooperative Development in post Independence Zimbabwe" in Hedlund H. COOPERATIVES REVISITED, Scandinavian Institute of African Studies , Uppsala, Sweden, 1988
- "Agricultural Cooperatives in Zimbabwe: Problems and Prospects" in Proceedings of the 9th Southern African Universities Social Science Conference Dar-es-Salaam 1987
- "Continuity and Change in Agricultural Policy” Chapter 7 in Mandaza I. J (Ed) ZIMBABWE: The Political Economy of Transition, Codesria, 1987.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- “Globalisation and Human Development” Concept Paper presented at workshop on the 1999 Human Development Report. Poverty Reduction Forum/ UNDP Jameson Hotel 1999.
- “The Essence of Structural Adjustment Programmes” Lecture presented at a Workshop on ZIMPREST Elephant Hills Hotel May 26-29 1998.
- “The Impact of Macroeconomic Policies on Agriculture in Zimbabwe since Independence” Paper presented at an International Conference on Zimbabwe: Macroeconomic Policy, Management and Performance since Independence held at the Sheraton Hotel Harare August 18-21 1998.
- “The Relationship between Economic Growth and Human Development” Concept Paper presented at workshop on the 1998 Human Development Report. Poverty Reduction Forum/UNDP. Holiday Inn Hotel, Harare June 1997.
- “The Gender Impact of Structural Adjustment on Employment in the Informal Sector in Zimbabwe” Paper presented at a Conference on Promoting Employment with Gender Equality in the Context of Economic Structural Adjustment, Kadoma Ranch Motel 29-31 1997
- “Subcontracting in Zimbabwe” Paper presented at a Multi-Country Workshop on Enterprise Development held at Holiday Inn Hotel, Harare September 1997.
- “Investment, Financing and Liquidity Constraints: Panel Data Analysis of Zimbabwean Manufacturing Firms” Paper presented at an Econometrics and Research workshop held at the University of Pretoria, RSA. June 12-14 1996.
- Zimbabwe: Towards an Export Led Industrialisation Strategy?" Paper presented at the Zimtrade Seminar on Export Led Industrialisation , Harare, May 29 - 30, 1995
- “Small Business Development in Southern Africa: Policies to Promote an Indigenous Entrepreneurial Class". Paper presented at a Regional National Economic Management Seminar, Cape Town, South Africa. April 24 - May 12, 1995.
- "Zimbabwe: Economic Growth and Employment Creation: Past Performance and Lessons for the Future" Paper presented at an International Conference on Employment Creation held at the Harare International Conference Center, August 30 - September 3, 1993. 20 pages.
- Development of Indigenous Capacity for Economic Advancement: The Current Situation and Future Requirements" Paper presented at The National Workshop on Strengthening Capacity in Zimbabwe: Assessing the Needs. Nov. 8 - 9, 1993. Zimbabwe Institute of Public Administration and Management, ZIPAM. 22 pages.
- "The Impact of Trade Liberalisation on the Zimbabwean Economy" Paper presented at a workshop on The Economic Structural Adjustment Programme in Zimbabwe, Kadoma, ZIDS. November 18 - 22, 1991, 21 pages.
- "Socio-economic Survey of Collective Cooperatives in Zimbabwe". An Evaluation for the Organisation of Collective Cooperatives in Zimbabwe OCCZIM), Harare, 1985.
- "Some Aspects of Zimbabwe's Post Independence Agricultural Producer Cooperatives: A Profile and Preliminary Assessment". University of Zimbabwe, Department of Economics